CHEMICALS ON THE FARM
Research Associate Professor at MU
Poison Control Hotline:|
(for Missouri only)
|Cardinal Glennon Hospital, St. Louis||573-772-5200|
|Children's Mercy Hospital, Kansas City ||816-234-3000 |
|National Pesticide Telecommunications Network ||800-858-7378|
Common symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, convulsions or
tremors, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, pain in the chest or
abdomen, or extremes of behavior. Remember that some of these
symptoms could be confused with other problems, such as a stroke or
WHAT TO DO IF EXPOSED
- Get the victim away from the chemical. Before approaching the
victim, make sure that you will not be exposed to the poison as
well. Get the label from the chemical if it is possible to do
without exposing yourself, observe the instructions on it, and
bring it with you to the hospital.
- Call a doctor or poison control center.
- Remove chemical-soaked clothes, and wash the exposed skin as
much as possible. Again, remember not to touch the poison.
- If the poison has been swallowed, induce vomiting ONLY IF the
warning label instructs you to do so. If the poison is corrosive,
A corrosive chemical leaves signs of burns around the mouth and
throat. Keep the victim in a kneeling position or lying on his side
while vomiting. Ipecac syrup or warm water (add mild soap if
available) is effective for inducing vomiting.
- Acids - have victim use milk of magnesia or other medicines for treatment of indigestion
- Bases, ex: ammonia - victim should drink weak acids such as vinegar or orange juice
- Chlordane or Heptachlor - have victim drink tap water
- If the victim is not breathing, use artificial respiration- do
not expose yourself by breathing directly into the victim's mouth.
- Protect the victim from shock. Keep the victim warm enough not
to shiver. Keep feet elevated. Reassure the victim often.
Occupational Medicine ] -- [ AgEBB ] -- [ Comments ]