Missouri Dairy Business UpdateCommercial Agriculture
Volume 2, Number 11

November 2002


Missouri milk production

October milk production continues to show little sign of dropping. Milk production in the United States was up 2.4% in October 2002 over October 2001 on 0.9% more cows and 1.5% more production per cow.

Missouri milk production dropped 0.7% in October from a year ago on a 3.5% drop in cows and a 3.2% increase in milk production per cow.

California continued to pump out the milk, with 3.4% more cows and a 0.6% increase in milk production per cow combining to increase milk production by 4% over 2001 levels. For those dairymen interested in watching the impact of El Nino, check out this website: http://www.elnino.noaa.gov/forecast.html

October Milk Production

  October 2001 Milk Cows October 2002 Milk Cows % Change from last Year Oct 2001 Monthly Lbs. Milk/Cow Oct 2002 Monthly Lbs. Milk/Cow % Change from Last Year Oct. 2001 Total Milk Production (Millions of Pounds) Oct 2002 Total Milk Production (Millions of Pounds) % Change from Last Year
USA 9,086,000 9,167,000 0.9% 1,498 1,520 1.5% 13,611 13,935 2.4%
 
Top 20 States 7,726,000 7,793,000 0.9% 1,522 1,544 1.4% 11,756 12,030 2.3%
 
Missouri 141,000 136,000 -3.5% 1,085 1,120 3.2% 153 152 -0.7%
 
Kentucky 126,000 120,000 -4.8% 1,030 1,035 0.5% 130 124 -4.6%
Iowa 206,000 208,000 1.0% 1,480 1,480 0.0% 305 308 1.0%
 
Idaho 369,000 392,000 6.2% 1,820 1,770 -2.7% 672 694 3.3%
California 1,609,000 1,664,000 3.4% 1,745 1,755 0.6% 2,808 2,920 4.0%
New Mexico 273,000 305,000 11.7% 1,750 1,750 0.0% 478 534 11.7%

Source: USDA, NASS, Milk Production:
http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/reports/nassr/dairy/pmp-bb/


[ Back to Missouri Dairy Business Update Index ]

AgEBB | Dairy Focus Team | Dairy Publications