"Maintenance Requirements" for
NRCS EQIP Cost-Share
>>Back to Shelterbelt Maintenance Requirements Menu<<
Maintenance statements from NRCS standard:
- Replacement of dead trees or shrubs will be continued until
the barrier is functional (90% of the plants surviving with
no two adjacent plants missing).
- Supplemental water will be provided as needed.
- Pruning should be done only for the purposes of removing
dead, injured, or diseased wood and for creating desired
levels of barrier porosity.
- Inspect trees and shrubs every 6 months and protect from
adverse impacts including insects, diseases or competing
- The trees or shrubs should be protected from livestock and
- Control competing vegetation for the life of the planting or
until windbreak plants close the area and shade out any
- Protect plantings from fire. Maintain necessary firebreaks
around all plantings.