Volume 25, Number 1
Calendar of Events
12th Annual Agroforestry Symposium: Community Health & Resilient Food Systems
January 28, 29, 30 2020 | 9:00 am - 12:30 pm | Online
In response to the ongoing challenges we collectively face at this time, including the coronavirus pandemic, climate change, and inequities in social, environmental, and economic realms, the University of Missouri Center for Agroforestry seeks to share and support creative solutions. From healthy, accessible food that supports disease-resistant bodies, to innovative strategies for strong local economies, and community engagement for improved equity and awareness, the 2021 Agroforestry Symposium will highlight inspiring efforts and leaders who are paving a way to comprehensive community wellness. The symposium is free and open to the public, but advanced registration is requested: https://whova.com/portal/registration/agrof_202101/.
Missouri Woodland Steward Winter Webinars
January 12 - February 16, 2021 | 7:00 - 8:30 pm | Online
$30 for any three or $40 for all six webinars. Register at https://extension.missouri.edu/events/missouriwoodland-steward-winter-webinar-series or contact Havens at email@example.com or 573-247-3082. ADA accommodations are available.
- JAN 12 - Getting to Know 'The lay of your land': Online Resources and More!
- JAN 19 - Basic Tree Identification
- JAN 26 - Right Tree, Right Place: Planting Native Trees & Shrubs
- FEB 2 - Selling Timber: What the Landowner Needs to Know
- FEB 9 - Have Your Cake and Eat It Too: Managing Your Woodlands for Timber and Wildlife
- FEB 16 - Invasive Plants: Real Threats to Tomorrow's Woodland
Healthy Yards for Clear Streams
February 23 - April 13, 2021 | MU Extension | Online
This eight-week course, will take homeowners through a series of best practices to reduce chemical usage around the yard and slow the flow of stormwater runoff. Cost is $40. Registration opening soon on the MU Extension website. Simply type the words 'Healthy Yards' in the search window.
- FEB 23 - Course Orientation
- MAR 2 - Healthy Soils, Healthy Plants
- MAR 9 - Right Plant, Right Place
- MAR 16 - Basic Lawn Care
- MAR 23 - Gardens & Groundcovers
- MAR 30 - Basic Tree Care
- APR 6 - Integrated Pest Management
- APR 13 - Slow the Flow: Stormwater Management
Food Animal Concerns Trust (FACT) Webinars
January - February, 2021 | FACT | Online webinar
Webinars focus on pasture management and livestock health to create resilient grazing systems. All webinars are free and open to the public. Register and view archived sessions at https://foodanimalconcernstrust.org/webinars.
Development of the Agricultural Conservation Planning Framework (ACPF)
and Use by NRCS for Watershed Planning
January 28, 2021 | 3:00 pm | NRCS | Free Webinar
Nutrient and sediment losses from agricultural watersheds have impacts on U.S. aquatic and marine ecosystems. Improving agricultural water quality requires planning and voluntary installation of new conservation practices through producer engagement. To help meet this challenge, ARS scientists in Ames, Iowa, have developed the Agricultural Conservation Planning Framework (ACPF) to provide watershed databases and software tools that can be used to present realistic options for placement of conservation practices that can improve water quality outcomes. https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/national/technical/nra/ceap/?cid=nrcseprd1576043.
Savanna Institute Webinars and Conversations
January - February, 2021 | The Savannah Institute | Webinar
Webinars cover the latest research, challenges, and opportunities facing our agriculture systems and how agroforestry practices fit into adapting to the changes in food, farming, and sustainability. View details and register at https://www.savannainstitute.org/events/.
- JAN 26 - Conversation: Perennial Farm Gathering Synthesis Session
- FEB 9 - Webinar: Value Added Agroforestry Products with Dr. Mike Gold, UMCA
- FEB 18 - Conversation: Passing on the Gift of Land
- MAR 9 - Webinar: Food Forests, Foodscaping, and Edible Agroforestry with Dr. Sarah Lovell, UMCA
- MAR 18 - Conversation: The Role of Land Trusts in Agroforestry
Events: January, February, & March
Back to Green Horizons